Monday, November 10, 2008

In other news...AL Project

Finally I have been able to start my AL project. Last Thursday the scanner I needed came in and I was able to go and do some scanning on Friday. I am so glad that I am doing my project in a public library or else I would never get in the Library before it closed. I am struggling to get what I can now done since the library closes shortly after I get off work. I talked to Chelsea Meade at the Historical Society here in Taylorsville about how to preserve the documents I am handeling. Since they are handled by so many she didn't think I in particular needed to wear any protective gloves or anything but did suggest I be very careful loading and unloading them in the scanner. Regardless, I didn't want lotion or oil to get on my hands and harm the documents further so I wore some white cotton gloves. I went to ask.com to find out information on how to handle documents properly and this is what it said to do. Sometimes in Taylorsville people don't give you the best of answers :) Today I am going back in to complete the scanning (what I can of it) and make some edits (where the documents are torn or smuged). I am also waiting on a software system to put these in PDF so then we can upload them to the internet. A lady named Berenda Samples does the website so this will be her job I will just work with her on how I want it to look. I am hoping to get all of this done before the class ends but if it doesn't get finished before then it is something I must complete because it is a need the library sees is huge and I can't let them down.

No comments: