Monday, November 10, 2008

Sat with the Librarian

Last week the board of directors for my agency (Alexander County Partnership for Children) had a board retreat at the Hollifield Center in Hickory. I got to sit beside one of our memebers, Melissa Hagar who just so happens to be the Children's Librarian for Alexander County Public Library. It was great to sit with her at lunch and at her table during the retreat...I actually talked more library than work during this time. We discussed the transformation of libraries to this technology age and she is on board with the transformation but like me hates to see the personel side of the job diminish. She said it is so gratifying to see a young child light up as she reads a story to them and she cherishes that. She asked me if I ever thougth a library wouldn't actually be a place at any point in the near future...I hate to think about that! It was great though to get to sit down and discuss with someone real issues dealing with the library.

No comments: